Friday, January 25, 2013

Overy Family's Grand Adventure

Earlier this month, I was contacted by a man named Chris.  He posed this question: If you were given $1500 for a vacation, where would you go and how would you use these funds to get the biggest bang for your buck?

Great question, and after a lot of consideration, we have decided that a "stay-cation" would be the way to have a grand adventure!

We recently moved to central Iowa, and haven't done much exploring of the local attractions.  And, I am more comfortable at home, in my own bed, than I ever am in a hotel.  Especially since "bed bugs" have become such a big issue.  Gross, that totally creeps me out.

Our first stop would be to the Boone & Scenic Valley Railroad.  My oldest son LOVES trains, and would adore a train ride.  :)  The total cost for this excursion would be approximately $75 (includes food and train ride for our family of 5).

Next up, a night out for Mommy and Daddy at a local winery.  Fireside Winery offers a lovely concert each Friday night.  What could be better?  Music and wine!  Of course, hubs and I would stop for dinner as well. The total for this excursion would be approximately $150.

Wow, okay...we still have a lot more money to spend.  :)

Next up would be an over-night stay at the Grand Harbor Resort and Waterpark in Dubuque, IA.  It is a bit of a drive, but a wonderful way to spend some time in the winter.  I don't know about you, but I always feel like doing things when I can't....swimming in the winter, Chick Fil-A on Sundays, etc.  Our kiddos would have so much fun!  Especially our Ady, she LOVES to swim.  :)  Total cost for the waterpark, hotel stay, food, gas, is approximately $500.

Our next stop would be to the Disney on Ice show at the Wells Fargo Arena in Des Moines, Iowa.  My kids  love music, in fact they can sing most Disney songs word for word!  I couldn't imagine a better way to spend a night.  There little eyes lighting up as their favorite Disney characters skate across the room.  Priceless memories.  :) Total cost for this excursion is approximately $500 (which includes the ever so important Disney memorabilia)!

The final $275 would be used for a great dinner for our friends and family.  A few steaks, chicken, BBQ ribs, a few bottles of wine, and most importantly, good company.  After all, isn't the point of a vacation to relax and spend time with the people you love?  I enjoy entertaining, and love when people can enjoy our home as much as we do.

So, there you have it.  This is how the Overy's go on an epic "vacation".  How about you?  Do you have any upcoming vacation plans?  How would you spend $1500?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by.

I really appreciate comments, and often reply. :)

If you want a guaranteed response from me, just shoot me an e-mail @ thedaysofasahm @ gmail . com (remove the spaces)

Thanks for leaving a comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails