Wednesday, July 14, 2010

My Patience Has Been Tested

Yep.  I know.  I am a terrible blogger.  I just can't make the time for it, but I will eventually get better.  I promise.  Not sure when, but eventually.

It has been a difficult couple of days.  It all started on Friday.

I was awoken at 8:30a by a huge BANG!  (The kiddos normally sleep until 10, and I wake up around 9....what can I say?  I am night-owl.)  I jumped out of bed and raced into the babies room.  Jackson was climbing on the side of Ady's crib, and fell to the ground.  She was still sleeping peacefully, but he was bawling! 

I checked over his arms and legs to make sure he didn't hurt anything, and realized that he was fine.  So, we did our normal morning routine and hung out until Ady woke up.

Once she did, we went on with our day.  That is, until around noon when I went to the bathroom.  While I was in there, my 2 little ones wandered into the kitchen, and Jack got out the bbq sauce.  Then, he DUMPED it all over himself....and his sister.  Seriously.  It was a mess.

Now that I think about it, I wish I would have snapped a picture.  But, I was just to mad.  Yes, I will admit that I was mad.  My kids are not allowed in the kitchen, and they know that (Jackson especially), but they did not follow the rules....and I was going to have to clean up a gigantic mess AND give two baths.

Anyway, we did the baths and had lunch.  Then, it was nap.  Thank god for that.  They were grumpy, and I was glad to get a little break.  Surprisingly, they went down pretty, I took a nap myself.  (I had a migraine all day, and a nap was the only option I hadn't tried to help get rid of it.)

I even woke up before the kids, which is awesome!  So, I was able to get a few things done around the house.

But, then they woke up.  Lol, and things went back to crazy!

We did our normal diaper changes and snack in the afternoon, but while I was in changing Ady's diaper Mr. Jackers got ahold of a blue marker (washable - thank goodness).  He drew all over my pillow, which he so nicely removed from the pillow case earlier in the day.

Isn't my son a beautiful little artist?  :)  Anyway, by this point I had just had it.  I was ready for a break, but Z wasn't going to be home until late.  So, I decided to get the heck out of this house.  the walls were closing in around me.   (It was not only these two instances, but it was just the little things that don't normally bother you on top of these two big things, ya know?)

I packed up the kids, and went on our first "unplanned" trip out of the house.  By myself.  With both the kids.  I rarely do this, mostly because they are HEAVY.  Lol.  Imagine carrying around nearly 75lbs of weight (included infant carseat) just to get to the car.  It is not an easy task.  Lol.

We drove the 30ish miles to Toys R Us.  It was fun.  We picked up a couple of things we needed, and Jackers got to pick out a couple of Matchbox cars.  Ms. Ady just smiled the whole time.

I think we all needed to get out of the house.

Z joined us at Toys R Us (which is also a Babies R Us) about 30 minutes later.  Just in time to help get the kiddos back in the car and head home.

It was nice.  I needed it.  Retail therapy helps everyone, right?  Even if I did just buy 4 sippy cups, a box of oatmeal, matchbox cars, and pacifiers.  Lol.

The rest of the night went smoothly.  Z and I even watched a movie (500 Days of Summer, not my favorite).

Now, we are to Saturday morning.  And this is were I realized I am a terrible mother.  I should have looked more closely at the signs from the day before.  There is almost always a reason as to why my kiddos are grumpy.

Jackson woke up with a fever of 102.6.  He has never had a fever this high.  Ever.  So, I got out the Tylenol and made sure to keep him hydrated through the morning.  He wasn't interested in eating anything.  So, we just cuddled and watched Alvin and the Chipmunks.

I got him settled into our bed (it has a tv....with Barney, lol) for nap, and then I ran to Target for some necessary supplies (i.e. Tylenol and pedialyte (is that how you spell it?)).  But, I left Z with strict instructions to keep up with the Tylenol and keep up with the liquids.

A while later I came home to a pretty happy little man, but one with a temperature of 101.6.  He ate some toast, but not quite himself.  He slept with me in our bed, and was waking up every hour or so.  Just crying.  I felt terrible for the little man.  But, finally at about 3:30a his fever broke.

I was so relieved.  It was just his teeth (which was confirmed at our doc appointment on Monday afternoon), thank goodness.  But, man.  Teeth are brutal.

Sunday was a pretty regular day, which was fabulous.  That is, until Sunday night.  I laid Ady down for bed, and she wouldn't stop crying (she usually whines for a few minutes, but then drifts off to sleep).  I went in and comforted her, but the instant I would lay her down she would scream.

After about 30 minutes of rubbing her back in her room, I took her to the living room.  I rocked her to sleep, and tried to lay her down again.  But, no luck.  This went on for HOURS.  After about an hour I gave her some Tylenol, which didn't seem to help at all.

At 3am we decided to take her to the ER.  I was seriously afraid that something major was wrong with my little princess.  But, after an hour in the ER we were sent home with a diagnosis of teething.  Yep.  That's it.  But, they suggested we see our primary care physican (PCP) in the morning.

Just dandy.

We were able to get an appointment around 3pm on Monday with our PCP, and once he checked her over he said that she had an ear infection!  WHAT?!?!  Why couldn't the ER doc diagnosis a ear infection?

Anyway, that wasn't even the kicker.  We were at our PCP for more than TWO hours.  The doc went to run a test on Jack (checking for strep, but it is just a sore throat), and never came back.  It was after 5pm (when they close) that Z went into the hallway to ask when we would get the results of Jack's test.

She ran off to ask the doctor, clearly surprised that we were still there, and he came in....apologizing profusely for forgetting about us.  Yep.  He clearly stated that he "forgot about us".

Which I find curious because my kids were screaming by the end of it.  Jack was mad because he couldn't do anything without getting into trouble.  (They don't make doctor's offices very kid friendly.)  And poor Ady's little baby ears hurt.

I was pretty pissed, and upset that we were having such a difficult week.

You see, it was just one thing after another.  No rest for this Mommy.  Lol.

Tuesday was significantly better, and today is going better well too!  :)

I need to learn to take a step back, breathe, and relax. 

I don't need to have perfect kids who behave all the time.  Although, it would be  nice.  ;o)

I just want to say that it is okay to take a break.  It is okay to lock yourself in the bathroom (just put the bbq sauce up on a higher shelf in the fridge) for a few minutes to collect your thoughts.  Your kids will thank you for it, and so will your sanity.

Thanks for listening to my rant.  I hope you have never experienced a weekend like ours, but I am sure some of your have.  I hope I get the chance to blog soon.  :)


  1. I would be SOOO mad that the ER missed this Dx!!!! You should go ask for a refund! :)
    Glad its going better though.

  2. I want to scream for you. this has been a crazy week.

  3. man! What a nightmare few days. I'm glad you guys are on the other side of it, and you managed to maintain your sanity!

  4. It only gets worse as they get older. I've had a rough two weeks. I can't wait for school to start back in 3 weeks for my older two. Trying to keep four kids busy all day without pulling out my hair is a big task.

  5. I'm so sorry you had such a week! Stinkin' A! 2 Hours?? You poor thing!

  6. I my gosh, I saw the picture on the first page and just HAD to read the post. Sorry but I just started laughing as soon as I saw your poor pillow! A mom sees that kind of thing and recognizes what happened immediately. My little guy prefers chocolate syrup out of the fridge and likes to try out new places in the house to pee-after he has pulled off his diaper of course!


Thank you so much for stopping by.

I really appreciate comments, and often reply. :)

If you want a guaranteed response from me, just shoot me an e-mail @ thedaysofasahm @ gmail . com (remove the spaces)

Thanks for leaving a comment!


Related Posts with Thumbnails