Friday, December 28, 2012

Potato Soup

Tonight we had a delicious potato soup!  It was very simple and a great way to use up extra veggies you have lost (or is this only me?) in your fridge.

First, I cut up celery, onion, carrots, potatoes, corn (I used canned, so add the liquid along with the kernels), and leftover ham from the night before.

I threw it all in the crockpot (about 2/3 that way full) with some salt/pepper to taste.  Cranked the slow cooker to high, and covered the veg with warm water.

Then, you leave it alone for 4 hrs.

About an hour before you are ready to eat, you need to start making your roux.  This is super easy...just do equal parts butter and flour.  Melt the butter, add the flour (stirring constantly with a whisk).....once thickened add milk until you get a thick gravy type consistency (add only a little milk at a time and fully combine with the butter/flour mixture).  For an entire crockpot I used:

One cup butter
One cup flour
6 cups milk (approx.)


(I started with only 1/2 cup of butter/flour + 3 cups milk....because you do not want your soup to be, well...basically a gravy, when you add it to your existing cooking liquid.  Lol.)

Add your roux to your crockpot, make sure to combine ingredients fully.  Then, put up your feet....you are almost done.  :)

In about 30 minutes, your potato soup will be ready to serve.

Look, doesn't it look delicious?


Even my picky little eaters devoured this potato soup.  I mean, you can't go wrong.

Oh, and added bonus....we have enough leftovers for 2 more meals.  Into the freezer they go.  :)

PS - Don't be afraid of salt and pepper....one of the key "ingredients" at restaurants is added salt/pepper, so add more than usual.  :) You won't regret it....well, unless you go REALLY crazy.  Let's not do that, okay?  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by.

I really appreciate comments, and often reply. :)

If you want a guaranteed response from me, just shoot me an e-mail @ thedaysofasahm @ gmail . com (remove the spaces)

Thanks for leaving a comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails