Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Jack's Birth Story

I finally finished it, more than 3 years after his actually birth....but, hey, it is finished!  I hope you enjoy.  It was fun reading it and remembering the day that changed my life forever.

The day before Jackson's birth, Zach left for Missouri...probably not the best decision.   Kimberly (our midwife) thought it would be a while until I was ready to deliver because Jack had not dropped all the way.....well, she thought wrong because that very next morning MY WATER BROKE!

Here is the time-line for all the events surrounding Jacker's birth.  :):

7 am - My water breaks.  I think it actually broke about an hour before because I woke up at 5:45 am feeling this sharp need to go to the bathroom.  I ignored it, because I had just gotten up to pee at 5 am.  Seriously, how is it possible to have to go just 45 minutes later (especially when I had nothing to drink in between)?  Oh well, I was able to sleep for another 45 minutes!  :)

Anyway, I drag my butt out of bed at 7 am and head to the bathroom.  I took two steps and I was soaked.  My first thought was "did I seriously just pee my pants?".  Seriously, it was crazy.

Anyway, I went to the bathroom....cleaned up and then I really started to realize what was going on.

For the last month I have been completely ready for this kid to come out, but when my water actually broke I was like...ummm, maybe we can wait a while.

7:15 am - After freaking out, and then collecting my thoughts, I called Zach to let him know. He and his "hunting buddies" went out to the deer stands around 4 am to hunt, so at least he was awake. When I told him my water broke, he was like "Serious?" As soon as he sort of comprehended the situation he started running toward the house (which would have been a sight to see, because I have NEVER seen him run, lol) to gather his stuff and book it back to Iowa to met his first born son!  He seems very flustered, and nervous.  But, who wouldn't be?

7:20 am - After calling Zach, I let the after-hours nurses know that I was on my way to the hospital and my water had ruptured.  The receptionist (nurse?  I don't remember) took a message, and told me that the on-call midwife would be calling me shortly.

7:25 am - Then, I called my Mom because Zach was still hours away, 5 to be exact (and that is in good weather).  She said she would be over shortly.

7:30 am - I hop in the shower.  Mostly because I had to shave my legs.  Lol.

7:45 am - I gather all my stuff for the hospital, and sit back and try to wait patiently for my Mom to get there.

7:50 am - The midwife calls and tells me to go directly to the hospital, and she will meet me there.  :)

8:30 am - My mom arrives, she was surprised that I was "so calm". But, I just didn't see the point in panicking because it was happening whether I was freaked out or not.

8:40 am - I gathered all the stuff that I thought that I would need in the hospital and we headed to Genesis East.

9:25 am - After officially checking into the hospital the nurse came in to check how far along I was. In the car I started having contractions. Because of these contractions I was 3 cm 90 %. They also checked to make sure my water was broken (it was!) and transferred me to the labor and delivery room. This was the last room that they had available, the nurse said they had been crazy busy with births since the Wednesday before.

10 am - In the delivery room they started pitocin to strengthen the contractions and help the baby drop. I had contractions about a minute apart and that was getting to be too much. I was checked and in a matter of a few minutes I was at 4 cm and 100 %.

12:30 pm - Zach arrives.  Thankfully after a quick shower and a change of clothes.  I was so thankful he arrived in time!

1 pm - I asked for an epidural at this point...I needed it. They gave me the epi (did not like the doctor) and I really stopped feeling all the contractions (it was amazing). But, I definitely knew when I needed to push. I felt a TON of pressure, and pushing really did help release some of the tension. I went from 4 cm to 10 cm in less than 2 hours....things started happening REALLY fast with the pitocin.

3 pm - I was so done, I kept asking them to cut him out of me....just do something so that this can be over with. It took over three hours to push the little guy out....and muscles you have never used hurt! Honestly, it did not seem like this long...but, I totally lost all sense of everything put the pain.

6:30 pm - I had to have an episiotomy allow Jack to be born. This did not hurt at the time but I can feel it now.

6:36 pm - Jackson is born!  I was so happy he was finally here.  The pain was somewhat forgotten, and I just stared at my new little man.

6:40 pm - They stitched me up....a lot of stitches (although she said it was more of one continuous stitch, what?!?!) and checked/cleaned up Jackson.

6:45 pm - He is absolutely beautiful, but I could not get over the fact that this little guy actually came out of me, I was definitely in a daze after delivery.

6:50 pm - Jack was measured and checked out again.  He was 7 lbs 6 oz and 20 inches long!

7 pm - During recovery I shook a lot because of all the fluid they gave me through an IV and the balancing (still crazy) of my hormones.

10 pm - We stayed in the delivery room for about three hours to give the epidural a chance to wear off. Then took a shower and we moved to our "permanent" room. In this room we settled down for the night and was rechecked to make sure that everything looked good. Thank goodness everything did.

Jackson Scott is finally here!!!

1 comment:

  1. I love reading birth stories!!! :)

    ~~ Come visit my blog! ~~


Thank you so much for stopping by.

I really appreciate comments, and often reply. :)

If you want a guaranteed response from me, just shoot me an e-mail @ thedaysofasahm @ gmail . com (remove the spaces)

Thanks for leaving a comment!


Related Posts with Thumbnails